TOGAF 9.1 has been one of the standard tools for EA in the last 5 years. Over 400 comments were addressed and 450 improvements were made to TOGAF 9 resulting in TOGAF 9.1 version.
The 9.1 release is completely compatible with TOGAF 9 certification and specification. Although there are numerous changes, there are no material differences related to the features or direction, but only a refinement of existing framework.
TOGAF 9.1 was a great idea for the Open Group. With any standard enterprise architecture framework created by many people and organizations, there's a high probability of mistakes and inconsistencies. From the moment of its release, TOGAF 9.1 showed results of the advances and improvements made in order to increase usability and consistency for Enterprise architects and their daily needs. So, what's new in TOGAF 9.1?
- Document Categorization Model
- Definitions of terms where TOGAF use was not different from the common dictionary
- The Evaluation Guidelines and Criteria were removed
- The descriptions of Phase E and F have been updated to offer the same level of detail as the other phases
- The concept of partitions/iterations/levels has been clarified.
- The "Objectives" segments of the phases have been changed to focus on actual objectives instead of techniques and a list of steps
- The SOA section has been changed in order to describe the latest output from SOA Work Group
- Additional introductory text about architectural styles has been added
Inconsistent terminology use has been addressed in the following areas:
- Terms "system" and "application" were reviewed and made consistent
- Terminology related to Roadmap
/Transition Architecture/Implementation Strategy has been simplified and made consistent
- The available artifacts (viewpoints) for every phase are listed in the description of that phase
- Terms "viewpoint" and "artefact" were made consistent.
- Metamodel diagrams were corrected in some parts.
- Duplicate text in some places has been deleted or replaced with an appropriate reference.
- Architecture Principles description now divides them into two types - Enterprise and Architecture - IT principles are no longer called out separately. IT principles are now a part of Enterprise Principles.
- The Stakeholder Map is now exclusively referred to as an example, the table has been updated to refer Stakeholder Concerns and the list of artifacts for stakeholders has been changed.
- The Business Scenarios chapter was renamed to Business Scenarios and Business Goals to fit the content of the chapterCertification
- The two certification levels remain TOGAF 9 Foundation and TOGAF 9 Certified
- People certified in the TOGAF 9 People Certification remain certified
The Open Group has released a PDF presentation which provides a detailed overview of improvements made in the TOGAF 9.1 - you can check it out here
Surely, the biggest difference is how the objectives of every ADM phase are written. The latest version of standard enterprise architecture software
brought some significant improvements. Especially in phases E and F, which have seen some drastic changes.
keywords: togaf, togaf 9 , togaf 9.1, enterprise architecture