TOGAF Is the fastest growing adopted framework for enterprise architecture. Thousands of people per year are getting TOGAF certified (50,000+ to-date worldwide) and it has become the standard for enterprise architecture practices around the world.

We have been actively involved with applying TOGAF since 2006 (TOGAF version 7) and have helped numerous organizations adopt & implement enterprise architecture TOGAF. The purpose of this section is to share some of our experiences with enterprise architecture TOGAF, give people some tips and share our lessons learned.

Notification

Icon
Error

How to Apply TOGAF practically

A recurring theme from people trying to get started with TOGAF. It is also a pretty big question. I can share some of my recommendations and maybe some of these you can consider for your own practice.

First of all the biggest mistake with getting started with TOGAF, which applies almost to get getting started with any framework is that you bite of more than you can chew. So my first recommendation is keep it simple, less is better. Then augment as you mature and getting a better feel for TOGAF and its phases & artifacts

Secondly, as per your comment in the title, keep it practical. For me this means create architecture at a practical level. Developing high level architectures and models that are not directly linked to practical business problems will result in a lot of time spend on questionable value. You would lose momentum with your business stakeholders.

Next recommendation(tied into #1 & #2), just start with managing your application portfolio and map these applications to a basic business capabilities model of your organization. But do this well. This will be one of your first outward facing artifacts so make sure it is accurate, complete and resonates with your stakeholders. And then maintain this. This will become one of your pillars of which you can built your EA practice. Business stakeholders will understand (as they understand capabilities and they understand applications). Note that in all my experience across a wide variety of clients I have to encounter a client that does this well and keep doing this well yet IMO it should be a core asset of what EA brings to the table.

Next steps will depend on business needs and direction. Some of my clients are in the middle of a BI journey and really want to understand the data & information landscape other will want to know what is needed to enable their business into an digital business model. Different drivers needing different architecture insights.

Next there is also the TOGAF steps. Simply put the first steps in adopting TOGAF are:
- tailoring the framework
- defining your content meta model
- defining templates for your framework artifacts

Don't want to overwhelm you with more and more stuff but the above reflects my getting started methods that I have applied at most of my clients (successfully).

Regards,
Daniel

keywords: TOGAF, Enterprise Architecture, Practical TOGAF

Enterprise Architecture Software using TOGAF

Why use EAComposer use as your TOGAF Software?

• Full support for the TOGAF and Archimate, with real-life templates for all 80+ architecture artifacts defined by the ADM. There for you to use.
  • Our repository is fully aligned with the TOGAF Enterprise Continuum meaning you can segregate your architecture content as the Enterprise Continuum outlines.
  • A visual modeler that can produce any TOGAF viewpoint and support all the Archimate notations as well as the flexibility to extend where needed.
  • Supports the TOGAF Governance in a practical, simple but very effective way. Produce monthly alignment assessments in minutes using our unique dashboards.
  • The Free Trial will give you instant and full access to the product & features, after 4 weeks the trial automatically expires. No catches!