TOGAF Is the fastest growing adopted framework for enterprise architecture. Thousands of people per year are getting TOGAF certified (50,000+ to-date worldwide) and it has become the standard for enterprise architecture practices around the world.

We have been actively involved with applying TOGAF since 2006 (TOGAF version 7) and have helped numerous organizations adopt & implement enterprise architecture TOGAF. The purpose of this section is to share some of our experiences with enterprise architecture TOGAF, give people some tips and share our lessons learned.

Notification

Icon
Error

Getting started with TOGAF - Step 2

Here is a second post in a series of posts which I share my personal experience of implementing and using TOGAF across many different organization both private and public sector. But please note the content in these posts simply reflect my personal, practical experience of using TOGAF. Also my aim is to keep it simple & practical for people just starting with TOGAF.

I started this series with the main first step in adopting TOGAF: Tailoring TOGAF to your organization. In my first post on this Getting Started series I called out:

1. Looking at the TOGAF phases and artifacts and decide what kind of artifacts you want to produce during architecture projects. Start small, pick a handful, do these really well and as you mature augment with more artifacts. This is essentially defining your ADM cycle, an important step in tailoring TOGAF.

2. Second was to look at the Metamodel and decide which architecture component types do you want to manage and architect. This would be your ABB and SBB's in TOGAF lingo. Again I recommend start small and augment as you become more mature.

So these are very common starting steps when tailoring TOGAF.

Now let’s continue and see what else we need to do to tailor TOGAF:

3. We need to understand how the TOGAF framework interacts with other corporate frameworks. Most often I encounter the following other corporate frameworks being used:

• Strategic Planning framework ( e.g. Balanced Scorecard).
  • Portfolio & Project Management framework (Prince2, PMI, PMBok);
  • IT Operations framework (e.g. ITIL);

Of course there are other frameworks as well to consider but with the objective of keeping these posts short & sweet I focus on the ones above.

Below are some more details on what this integration or alignment means:

1. For Strategic Planning frameworks we have to consider the ADM Preliminary, Architecture Vision and Business Architecture phases. In my experience using a shared business capabilities model (functional decomposition in TOGAF lingo) creates 90% of the needed alignment. Obviously outputs from strategic planning would be inputs in some of the ADM phases but as long as a common denominator is used (e.g. Business Capabilities model) this would work nicely.

2. For Portfolio & Project Management frameworks the related ADM phase would be ADM phase F Migration Planning. You could possibly include the next phase G Implementation Governance as well. You want to align technology roadmaps with the corporate portfolio. It should be a technology lens of the corporate roadmap.

3. For alignment with ITIL the integration would be at phase C & D and primarily be around ensuring the architecture is aligned with current IT standards. If you are also using TOGAF for the implementation (Solution Architecture) then additional alignment & integration would be needed.

Thanks,

Daniel

keywords: getting started with togaf, tips by eacomposer

Enterprise Architecture Software using TOGAF

Why use EAComposer use as your TOGAF Software?

• Full support for the TOGAF and Archimate, with real-life templates for all 80+ architecture artifacts defined by the ADM. There for you to use.
  • Our repository is fully aligned with the TOGAF Enterprise Continuum meaning you can segregate your architecture content as the Enterprise Continuum outlines.
  • A visual modeler that can produce any TOGAF viewpoint and support all the Archimate notations as well as the flexibility to extend where needed.
  • Supports the TOGAF Governance in a practical, simple but very effective way. Produce monthly alignment assessments in minutes using our unique dashboards.
  • The Free Trial will give you instant and full access to the product & features, after 4 weeks the trial automatically expires. No catches!