TOGAF Is the fastest growing adopted framework for enterprise architecture. Thousands of people per year are getting TOGAF certified (50,000+ to-date worldwide) and it has become the standard for enterprise architecture practices around the world.

We have been actively involved with applying TOGAF since 2006 (TOGAF version 7) and have helped numerous organizations adopt & implement enterprise architecture TOGAF. The purpose of this section is to share some of our experiences with enterprise architecture TOGAF, give people some tips and share our lessons learned.

Notification

Icon
Error

Getting started with TOGAF - Step 1

A short series of posts to help you get started with TOGAF. I have been using TOGAF since version 7 and have implemented TOGAF across many different organization both private and public sector. But please note the content in these posts simply reflect my personal, practical experience of using TOGAF.

So your company has decided to start adopting the TOGAF framework and you have become TOGAF certified. First of all I hope you decided to do the extra effort and go for the Level 2 certification.

Now that you have become certified the number one question I get is "what is next". TOGAF calls out a few steps where you can begin, and in my experience the most common first step is tailoring of TOGAF to your organization. TOGAF is a large framework intended to work across multiple industries as well as supporting both small technology roadmaps as well as large business transformations.

Within this tailoring of TOGAF there are things we need to do. If I again focus on the starting points, and again based on my experience I recommend doing two things:

1. Looks at the TOGAF phases and artifacts and decide what kind of artifacts you want to produce during architecture projects. Start small, pick a handfull, do these really well and as you mature augment with more artifacts. Each artifact usually provides a certain insight, if you choose too many artifacts to start with you will get bogged down and overloaded with both effort and information. The basics for me usually include a business capabilities model (also known as functional decomposition in TOGAF lingo :). Capabilities are at the heart of TOGAF as it is a capabilities based planning framework. Other normally include application, information and infrastructure related artifacts and viewpoints. Start small and define a basic ADM cycle that you will use when doing architecture work.

2. Number two would be to look at the Metamodel and decide which architecture component types do you want to manage and architect. This would be your ABB and SBB's in TOGAF lingo. Again I recommend start small and augment as you become more mature. The biggest mistake here is to bite of more than you can chew, like boiling the ocean. Start with Capabilities, Applications, Platforms and maybe a couple of others. Define a few core attributes that you think you want to record. And create the inventory of your current state for these types.

Will keep these posts short and easy so in my next Step 2 post we will continue this thread.

Thanks,

Daniel

keywords: getting started with togaf, tips by eacomposer

Enterprise Architecture Software using TOGAF

Why use EAComposer use as your TOGAF Software?

• Full support for the TOGAF and Archimate, with real-life templates for all 80+ architecture artifacts defined by the ADM. There for you to use.
  • Our repository is fully aligned with the TOGAF Enterprise Continuum meaning you can segregate your architecture content as the Enterprise Continuum outlines.
  • A visual modeler that can produce any TOGAF viewpoint and support all the Archimate notations as well as the flexibility to extend where needed.
  • Supports the TOGAF Governance in a practical, simple but very effective way. Produce monthly alignment assessments in minutes using our unique dashboards.
  • The Free Trial will give you instant and full access to the product & features, after 4 weeks the trial automatically expires. No catches!